Castlemaine 28th February 2021
Track; Grass 395m
Commentator; Ollie Wurm,
Wind gauge; Automatic
Starters; Rob McIntosh, Graeme Humphrey
Photo finish; Leah MacDonald, Tom Burbidge
Results; Nila Blennerhassett
Stewards; Brian Marantelli, Wally Meechan
Handicappers; Graeme Goldsworthy, Colin Lane, Darryl Nettleton, Chris Brown, Andrew McDowell
Track Allowance; 120m .1 sec & 70m .1 sec
- 70m open: Lucas Archer (non appearance)
- 120m Open; Ryan Camille, Clinton Gray, Endale Mekonnen
- 120m Women’s; Laura McDougall
- 120m Masters; Andrew Drummond
- 400m; Anthony Holbery (inj)
- 400m Women’s; Layla Watson
- 120m Women's; Zoe Neale
- 300m Masters; Tom Hecimovic
- Zoe Neale was issued with a UP (unsatisfactory performance ) for her run in the 120m Women’s Gift. A condition of receiving a UP is an automatic handicap review. Zoe’s handicap has been adjusted to 5.5m for her next 120m event.
- Tom Hecimovic was queried after his performance in the final of the Master’s 300m. Stewards and handicappers believed that Tom’s effort in the home straight was below what was expected and issued Tom with a penalty of $300 and a UP. Tom was charged under rule 16.38 (b) & (c). Tom’s handicap will be 42m for his next 300m event.
- After the 70m final stewards and handicappers queried athletes Brendan Matthews, Maki Loukeris and Nicholas Antinino. It was eventually decided that no action was to be taken.
- Vicki Matthews was permitted to compete from a standing start in straight events
- Lucas Archer, after missing his 70m semi final, was advised that it is his responsibility to check the progression order in his events.
- Zoe Nicholson was queried after the final of the 800m. Zoe was told that the degree of improvement from Waverley to Castlemaine was outside what normally could be expected. Zoe’s reasoning was accepted but she was advised that stewards and handicappers need be told beforehand if circumstances may result in an extreme range of variation in performance.
- Justin Murphy was checked in the home straight of his heat of the 300m Masters
- Anthony Holberry eased out of the final of the open 400m after suffering an injury.
*Athletes and Coaches please note the following messages from the VAL stewarding panel
- VAL rule 11.16
- Any Athlete who sustains an injury or illness during an event, which prevents the athlete from running to the best of their ability or is unable to take their place in a semi final or final for similar reasons, MAY incur a suspension of 28 days. The decision as to a suspension being applied is solely at the discretion of the stewarding panel.
- Breaking in a heat or semi final and not progressing is an automatic NP, at best
- All athletes must submit winning interstate performances and PB’s to the VAL via website as per VAL rules 11.19, 11.20, 11.21, 11.22, 11.23. Failure to do so WILL result in a fine.
- Athletes intending to wear flats in circular events must seek permission from stewards prior to racing. Any sustained use of flats may reduce the possibility of reverting to spikes later in the season.
- Please note that under no circumstances are pets allowed onto the athletic arena, leashed or unleashed