Victorian Athletic League
Sandringham Athletic Club 2/11/2014
Weather Warm Track Synthetic
Commentator Cartha McKerrow
Starters Gary Mahon, Pam Noden
Wind Gauge Harley Hill
Photo Finish Sue Dunbar, Nila Blennerhassett
Stewards Brian Marantelli, Wally Meechan
Handicappers Kim McDonough, Graeme Goldsworthy, Darryl Nettleton, Neale Gunning
300 metre Gift conducted in lanes
Due to the Lynx timing equipment being used for the first time under race conditions the first event started 15 minutes late. The program fell further behind in the middle stages of the day but finished on time for the last event.
(1) Prior to the start of the days racing Richard Norris approached stewards and informed them of an ongoing issue with a leg problem. Richard added that he was still hoping to compete but may struggle to be competitive for the 2014/15 season.
(2) A number of athletes requested permission to compete in tights, this was allowed on all occasions. Athletes are reminded that they must compete for the entire day in the same attire when this request is made.
(3) Athlete Daniel Steinhauser asked to be excused from his semi final of the 100m due to injury. Daniel can compete in 28 days, or 14 days with the appropriate medical certificate.
(4) Coach Nick Fiedler was queried regarding the performances of athletes Dion Paull and Brendon Glidden-Green. Glidden-Green competed in a heat of the 800m before also contesting a 100m heat shortly after. Paull competed in two sprint heats with a heat of the 800m in between. He also competed in the final event of the day, 1600m VCCL novice. Nick was reminded of the current policy of the VAL. Athletes will not be considered for a handicap review when competing over varying distances on the same program that could affect their overall consistency. The handicap panel find it difficult to judge an athlete’s true capabilities under these circumstances.
(5) After the final of the 800m, athlete James Collier was reminded that continually looking around during an event was against VAL rules.
(6) Athlete Joel Donnar was queried after his run in the 1600m open handicap. Joel’s coach, Wayne James, stated that Joel had been ill and unable to train to his usual standard. Both Wayne and Joel were advised that in future, athletes and/or coaches must advise the VAL stewards and handicappers when they believe that a recent injury, illness etc will impact on a performance.
Hamish Adams; losing time from the 300m semi to the 300m final.
Maddie Coates; losing time in the 100m final
Daniel Richardson; losing time in the 70m final.
Jason Bailey; losing time from heat to semi final of the 100m.