JANUARY 2021 NEWSLETTER
14 JANUARY 2021
MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT
Happy New Year to everyone and welcome to 2021. I am very happy to see the back of 2020 and I look forward with optimism to 2021 offering a better year for work, play, family and fitness.
I was sorry that we were not able to offer a full meeting at Warrnambool on January 2nd with the weather gods having other ideas. The weather at Geelong was much nicer and I hope we see more good weather for the rest of the season.
The 2021 Wangaratta Gift on Saturday 23 January will be the 100th running of the event – congratulations to the Wangaratta Club on this huge achievement. I encourage everyone to make the trip to this impressive milestone year.
A reminder to everyone that while the COVID numbers are minimal we still have a responsibility to maintain 1.5m when possible, practise good hygiene and stay home if unwell. Please familiarise yourself with the COVID-19 requirements in the newsletter below. See you at the track soon. Happy racing.
FRANKSTON LIVE STREAM
You can watch all the action from the Frankston Gift this Saturday via the Athletics Exclusive Live Stream
WATCH THE FRANKSTON LIVE STREAM HERE
The VAL has been processing large amounts of entries after the online entry period has closed. This early season grace period has now ended. Once the late entry period online closes, no more late entries will be accepted. It is the athletes responsibility to check closing dates carefully and ensure they are entered in their chosen events on time.
Athletes should confirm each entry by checking you received your Order Confirmation and PayPal confirmation emails. You can also view your orders on your Athlete Profile.
WARRNAMBOOL 'TICKS' & REFUNDS
As a result of the Warrnambool meeting being cancelled half way through the program, the league would like to communicate the following:
- Full refunds of the race entry fees will be given for all events that did not run any heats, semis or finals.
- Races that were partially competed (e.g. heats only) will be refunded, minus an administration charge.
- Races that were fully completed will not receive any refund.
- All race entry fees for the 400m Restricted will be refunded as only 1 heat was completed.
- As originally advertised, only athletes that receive an acceptable performance for each race they compete in at Warrnambool will receive 2 x AP's (ticks). No ticks will be awarded to athletes in events that were not conducted.
COLOURS - UPDATED
We are re-stocking the singlets available for purchase with more sizes and colours available at Frankston.
- Athletes wearing their own singlet in competition MUST have it approved by the official in the information tent prior to racing.
- If you wear your own singlet, it must not be similar to other colours either up close or from a distance.
- Singlets with logos or patterns can only show minimal variation from the main colour of the singlet.
In addition to an already outstanding race list, the Ballarat Athletic Club have added 4 more races to the two day event.
- 120m Under 14 Boys - Sash and prizes
- 120m Under 14 Girls - Sash and prizes
- 300m Women's - $600
- 550m Open - $600
Check out the full race list and details here
Entries close 26 January 2021
- Spectators are not permitted on the field of competition at any time.
- Athletes are only permitted on the field when warming up, competing, and warming down.
- Trainers are only permitted on the field prior to and during their athletes competing.
- All attendees must maintain the 1.5m social distancing requirements.
Those not adhering to the requirements and putting attendees and the meetings at risk may be asked to leave the venue.
All athletes, trainers, family and friends are required to sign into each venue using the QR code displayed at the entry point and through each venue. You can check in prior to arriving by accessing the link on the VAL Covid-19 page, or as you arrive at the gate.
WHAT COVIDSAFE PRINCIPLES DO I NEED TO FOLLOW?
- Do not attend if you feel sick or unwell
- Maintain physical distancing (1.5 metres) when not competing
- Cough and sneeze into tissue or elbow
- Good hand hygiene
- Do not spit or blow nasal fluid at any time within the venue
See the VAL CovidSafe Plan for the full list of safety measures and requirements
ENTRIES CLOSING SOON
Maribyrnong closes 15 January - Enter now
Parkdale closes 22 January - Enter now
Ballarat closes 29 January - Enter now
Waverley closes 5 February - Enter now
The votes are coming in after some outstanding performances early in the season. We're excited to see who can raise the bar as we head towards some big meetings through January and February!
What is the VAL Medal?
The 20-21 season will see the introduction of the 'VAL Medal'. The award will be presented to the athlete that demonstrates the most supreme athletic performances amongst their peers throughout the season across from any and all distances or categories. With all athletes being eligible, a culmination of points will be awarded by the officials at each meeting throughout the season and the award will be presented to the highest points scorer. Stay tuned for more information on the VAL Medal.
COACHING COURSES IN 2021
Athletics Victoria is running a number of coaching courses this New Year. If you want to launch your coaching career or upskill, we have a course for you. There's no better time to sign up!
Courses coming up soon Include:
Level 1 Community Athletics Course
Intakes 10 February, 17 March 2021
Level 2 Club Coach Course
Intakes 20 January 2021
Level 3 Performance Development
Day 1 – Intake 7 February 2021
Day 2 – Intake 14 February 2021
Level 1 Recreational Running
Intakes 7 & 10 February 2021
Level 2 Recreational Running
Intakes 8 & 14 February 2021
Click the button below for more information on each course, and to sign up!
For any further inquiries, please contact Tilly Skok at Matilda.Skok@athsvic.org.au
Click here for more information