Victorian Athletic League
Weather Warm Track; Grass
Commentator Cartha McKerrow
Starters Gary Mahon, Pam Noden
Wind Gauge Sue Dunbar
Finishing equipment Nila Blennerhassett, Harley Hill
Stewards Brian Marantelli, Wally Meechan
Handicappers Graeme Goldsworthy, Neale Gunning, Darryl Nettleton.
(1) After the running of the 1600m stewards and handicappers discussed the improved performances of Joel Donnar, Matt Grant and Alex Bacalja. After allowing for the lift in handicaps (Rowe lift 25m) and the quicker tempo of the race conditions, they were still of the opinion that the improvement was well above their runs of the previous week. All athletes were advised that they must maintain that standard for the rest of the season.
(2) Mickael Arminana was unable to take his place in the Gift semi finals and will be unable to compete with the VAL for 28 days, 14 days with an acceptable certificate.
(3) Myra Cuming suffered an injury in her heat of the 100m. Myra will be unable to compete with the VAL for 28 days, 14 days with an acceptable certificate.
(4) Todd Ireland suffered an injury in his heat of the 300m. Todd will be unable to compete with the VAL for 28 days, 14 days with an acceptable certificate.
(5) Before the first event VAL Stewards and handicappers discussed, with coach Peter O’Dwyer, the difference in Jenna Cartledge‘ s performances from Ballarat to Keilor. As when discussing with Jenna at Keilor, Peter had no explanation for the variation. Cartledge will be issued with a UP from the Keilor event.
(6) Also before the first event VAL Stewards and handicappers discussed, with coach John Henry and athlete Samantha Hargreaves, the difference in her performances from Keilor to Trinity. Samantha believed that her drop in performance from the Saturday to Sunday was due her failure to “back up” on consecutive days.